Vegetarian sushi or poke bowl with fresh ingredients
To make a vegetarian sushi roll:
- Prepare sushi rice by cooking Japanese short grain rice and seasoning with vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Lay out a sheet of nori (dried seaweed) on a sushi mat, spread a layer of the prepared rice over the nori, leaving a 1-inch strip of nori uncovered at the far end.
- Place your desired fillings such as avocado, cucumber, carrot, pickled vegetables, and scrambled tofu, in a line near the rice covered end.
- Roll the mat tightly to form a cylindrical shape, using the uncovered strip of nori to seal the roll.
- Slice the roll into pieces and serve with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger.
To make a vegetarian poke bowl:
- Cook quinoa or brown rice to use as a base.
- Arrange a variety of diced or sliced raw vegetables such as cucumber, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and carrots on top of the rice.
- Add a protein source such as tofu, tempeh, or edamame.
- Drizzle with a sauce such as soy sauce, sesame oil, or a spicy mayo.
- Serve with optional toppings such as furikake, sesame seeds, and seaweed flakes.