- 1 1/2 cups warm water (110-115°F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- Coarse salt for topping
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and salt. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let sit for 5 minutes, or until the mixture becomes frothy.
- Stir in the flour and melted butter until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 8 minutes.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a clean towel, and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, bring the 10 cups of water and baking soda to a boil.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each into a long rope. Twist the rope into a pretzel shape.
- Boil the pretzels in the baking soda water for 30 seconds, then transfer to the prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm with mustard or cheese dipping sauce.